Friday, January 17, 2014

Bienvenidos, Bem vindo, Willkommen, Welcome, Accueil, Velkommen, Benvenuto, Powitanie, Welkom, Sambutan, Maligayang pagdating

So, welcome!
I am Jeff. For a while now I have been looking for a forum that really welcomes the international world of comic books...and that has lead me to here. As someone who enjoys comics and traveling, it was inevitable to fall in love with international comic books! As a lifelong learner, I needed to research and learn all about comics in all reaches of the world.
Stateside, Fantographics and NBM are the main publishers of imports, but is that enough? During my time in Brazil, I got to know the 4th biggest entertainment company in the world, Mauricio de Sousa Productions(Think Walt Disney Studios combined with Stan Lee's name brand). In its flagship title, Turma da Monica (Monica's Gang), they often display Sousa's travels to various licencing shows, ambassador visits etc, often times in the US... Yet, when walking into New York's largest comic shop and asking where it is possible to purchase comics from Brazil-"Brazil" was their best guess. Should these comics really be so foreign?
To me, this is a very limited view; we should be opening our arms to other viewpoints and art styles, and opening our hearts to other characters!
This blog aims to be a labor of love. If I can figure out a scanner and photoshop software I'd like to try my hand at translating (Portuguese and Spanish for now, French and German are the next languages to dominate!) Think of it as a cultural exchange in the world of comics.
Feel free to give recommendations, ask questions or anything!
Time to take over the world!
Jeff**
Me and Brazil's Stan Lee: Mauricio de Sousa- leader of Brazilian comics, creator of more than 200 characters and in the business for more than 50 years!(Copyright Saraiva)

No comments:

Post a Comment